Thursday, January 13, 2011

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)Synopsis
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


How to even begin this review... Well first off I can't believe that I put this book back when I first saw it. I don't think that the synopsis truly captures this book. Think of Twilight but then switch Edward's and Bella's gender. And the fact that they're werewolves and not vamps. Pretty much that's the layout, though the plot of Nightshade has no comparison whatsoever.

Calla is a character I fell in love with. How do you pronounce it though?! CAL-LAH? KAY-UH? I went back and forth with it for awhile. Glad our novelist pronounced Samhain for us though. Thank you very much.

Back to Calla, as Bryn says, she is totally "badass." Wishing right now that I were a Guardian, and I totally wouldn't mind being in Calla's position when it come to the triangle including Ren and Shay. MMM, both those boys look fine! At least in my head they do. Where can I find boys like these in reality? Oh right, back to reviewing. Through most of the book I was with Ren. He possessed me with his actions, words, and definitely his description. With Shay, in the beginning, I felt like he was just a big whiner and was sticking his nose in everyone's business. As the story progressed, though, I could feel my own alliance shifting. Around page 372 to be exact. Pretty sure that I'm gonna stick with Ren....for now.

At the first couple chapters my head was spinning, trying to find out what the heck was going on. As it progressed I found the story was written wonderfully, and the pacing kept me on my toes. And the last few chapters leave me pining for so much more. Definitely will continue to read this series. Only one question kept popping up in my head, "Why did Calla save Shay?"

Do I really need to say anything about the cover? IT IS MAGNIFICENT!

No comments:

Post a Comment