Monday, April 11, 2011

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Wuthering HeightsSynopsis
Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte's only novel, is one of the pinnacles of 19th-century English literature. It's the story of Heathcliff, an orphan who falls in love with a girl above his class, loses her, and devotes the rest of his life to wreaking revenge on her family.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I think I prefer Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre to her sisters Gothic volume. Then again I've only read this novel once(except the first couple chapters, I had to reread those half a dozen times to get through the book!)when it took me several times over to distinguish my love for Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice. Many things jumped out at me but one thing that escaped my attention was the romance. There was power, intensity, and madness but I found it difficult in seeing true love, it was so contorted. Plenty of hate going around, that much was obvious.

Mr. Heathcliff was a dark, dark character. Maybe too dark for me. His conniving and scheming turned me away though I wanted to like him, but it was impossible. The first Catherine I really couldn't stand, her daughter though I wanted so much to have a happy ending. The characters I couldn't stand the most were Linton, he clearly had no backbone whatsoever, and Joseph, though of no fault of his own. Mainly because I didn't understand a single word of his printed accent. It was so unbearable that I had to skip over his ramblings, and I hate doing that.

Another aspect of this novel that annoyed me was how the story was told by Nelly to her new master. Seriously, I didn't see the point of it all, except to muddle things up more if possible. That being said I think this novel will appeal to me more once I read it a couple times. Who knows when that will happen though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment